.

Alexander Soundly Defeats Tallarita For 58th House District Nomination

Upstart outpolls longtime incumbent by nearly a 2-to-1 margin to secure Democratic nomination.

The battle to see who will be the Democratic candidate for the 58th House District has been a contentious one throughout the spring and summer.

Challenger David Alexander narrowly edged seven-term incumbent Kathy Tallarita by a single vote at the . However, days later, the Democratic State Central Committee , giving Tallarita the nomination and forcing Alexander to to challenge in a primary.

Primary day was Tuesday, and while predictions were the race would be extremely close, the end result was quite the opposite.

Alexander unofficially garnered 734 votes, or 64 percent, to easily outdistance Tallarita. The incumbent received 415 votes, or 36 percent.

"I'm extremely disappointed," Tallarita told Enfield Patch shortly after the results were disclosed. "I'm proud of my 14 years of service to the town of Enfield. I still have until January as state representative in the 58th District, and there is still work to be done between now and then."

Tallarita said she congratulated Alexander via telephone.

"David ran a good campaign, so I called and congratulated him on his good work," she said.

Alexander, 30, will now face Republican in the November election to fill Tallarita's seat.

Spiff August 17, 2012 at 06:13 PM
Marty, I am not a veteran, none of my neighbors are veterans, no one I know personally in Enfield is a veteran, the large majority of Enfield residents are not veterans, so over 55% (using your number) of David Kiner’s legislation does not personally benefit the large majority of Enfield residents. The remaining <45% may, and that is why I challenged readers to take a look to see if it did. I also posted a sampling of this remaining legislation. As noted in my original post, not a single piece if this legislation has an immediate and positive impact on me and my family or those that I know, and that is why I challenged others to take a look. Let me ask you, sir, does this legislation benefit you? Which pieces of legislation on the list have had an immediate and positive impact on you? We would like to know, Marty. As for your “crony” comment, I don’t know Joe Bosco, at least personally anyway. I am not a friend of his, the only way I would benefit from him being elected is as a constituent. I know his family owns a business here in town, I know that he’s been on the town council for several years where he has helped to successfully balance the budget without cutting services or raising taxes, and that’s good enough for me. Joe Bosco has had an immediate and positive impact on me and my family whereas David Kiner’s support for Dan Malloy’s record tax increase last year had an immediate and negative impact.
Spiff August 17, 2012 at 06:13 PM
My words aren’t partisan, Marty, they are facts. I would have a problem with any legislator, regardless of party, who raised taxes during an economic downturn, and that is what David Kiner did, while Joe Bosco did not. Good day sir!
Marty Salvatore August 17, 2012 at 09:42 PM
Spiff doth protest too much.
Spiff August 18, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Yeah, Marty's right, I was really sent here by Lord Vader to colonize Enfield, the rest of the state, the country, and the world..... Hahahahahahahaha (as my evil laugh fades into the distance!)
Spiff August 18, 2012 at 03:39 PM
I forgot to ask, Marty (or actually, you forgot to answer), so, which piece of David Kiner's legislation has helped you?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »