In the wake of last weekend's blizzard, the fire departments of Enfield have issued these safety reminders:
- Make sure all smoke and CO detectors are working properly. If you need assistance with this, call your local fire station.
- Make sure to clear snow from all exit doors in your residence.
- Check to make sure all outside heating vents and chimneys are free of snow, especially for those heating appliances that are vented horizontally.
- Use caution when clearing snow from around underground propane and fuel tanks.
- Make sure to clear snow from around natural gas meters and use care not to damage the meter or piping when doing so.
- If using supplemental heaters; be certain they are UL listed and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for proper use.
- When using generators; follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. Never use generators indoors or outside in proximity to doors or windows.
- Never use the oven/stove or charcoal for supplemental heating.
- The use of candles for lighting is not recommended. Use flashlights or other battery powered lighting.
- Make sure the number on your house is visible so we can find you in an emergency.
- Make sure the exhaust is clear of snow or debris before starting any vehicles that have been parked outside. Do not leave a vehicle running in the garage to warm it up.
- All downed wires should be treated as an electrical hazard.
- Check on your neighbors, particularly if they are elderly or disabled.
- If there is a fire hydrant near your house, help the fire department by clearing the snow from around it.
Keep in mind that road conditions may delay responses for emergency assistance.