1. According to ThinkQuest, today is National Bad Poetry Day! Celebrate by writing terrible verse for the ones you love.
2. Check out some of the very best of bad poetry at this online repository for truly hideous lines. Very Bad Poetry. And should the muse strike you with a red brick of inspiration, you can even submit your own terrible sonnets, rhyming couplets, or Heavy Metal Power Ballads.
3. Not all poetry is bad poetry, and in 1985, the State of Connecticut legisature created the honorary position of Poet Laureate of the state. The position carries a five-year term, and is currently held by Trumbull Poet Dick Allen. Allen's work has graced the pages of prestigious poetry journals as well as commercial magazines. He has published seven collections of his poems. For more information on Allen, visit the Connecticut Commission on Culture and Tourism's website.
4. Thursday's forecast calls for a slight chance of showers between 11am and noon, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 85, according to the National Weather Service. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Patchy fog Thursday night after 1am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 67.
5. Sign up for the daily and weekly newsletter and breaking news alerts on the Enfield Patch home page, and check out the Enfield Patch Facebook page. The Facebook "like" button is conveniently located at the top of each story; give us your thumbs up. We're closing in on 500 "likes."