Connecticut Magazine has released its state-wide rankings of towns, and Enfield placed 20th in the state in the 25,000 to 50,000 population category.
Enfield and the other towns were ranked according to five categories:
- Education: With emphasis on standardized test scores, as well as percentage of graduates attending college
- Economy: Based on the 2011 Public Investment Community score
- Cost of Living: The price of a median single-family house purchased in the first half of 2011 is a large factor
- Crime: Based on statistics from Connecticut's Department of Public Safety
- Leisure/Culture: Considers various factors, including the number of museums, theaters, festivals, historic sites, etc.
Enfield fared best in the Cost of Living category, placing fifth out of 26 communities. The town scored poorest in the Leisure/Culture category, ranking ahead of just two other towns: East Haven and Naugatuck.
Overall, the magazine ranks Enfield just behind Norwich and before Vernon. Check out the complete list at the Connecticut Magazine Web site.