1. Fermi will play Montville for the championship of the girls basketball tournament Thursday at Enfield High School at 7:45 p.m. Enfield will take on Stafford in the consolation game at 6 p.m.
2. With the kids out of school, if you are looking for something fun to do, a couple of ice rinks offer public skating times this week. Enfield Twin Rinks, 1 Prior Rd., offers skating for $7, $3 for rentals, Thursday from 1-2:30 p.m. For more information, call 860-745-2461. South Windsor Arena, 585 John Fitch Blvd., has open skating on Friday from 1-2:30 p.m. and 5-6:30 p.m., for $7 admission and $3 skate rental. They also offer a discount package, 10 admissions for $49, which is a $21 savings. For more information, call 860-289-3401.
3. On this day in 1890, in the final chapter of America's long Indian wars, the U.S. Cavalry kills 146 Sioux at Wounded Knee on the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota.
On Dec. 15, 1890, reservation police tried to arrest Sitting Bull, the famous Sioux chief and killed him in the process, increasing the tensions at Pine Ridge.
On Dec. 29, the U.S. Army's 7th cavalry surrounded a band of Ghost Dancers under the Sioux Chief Big Foot near Wounded Knee Creek and demanded they surrender their weapons. A fight broke out between an Indian and a U.S. soldier and a shot was fired, although it's unclear from which side. A brutal massacre followed, in which it's estimated almost 150 Indians were killed (some historians put this number at twice as high), nearly half of them women and children. The cavalry lost 25 men. Learn more at History.com.
4. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high temperature near 32, according to the National Weather Service. Thursday night will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.
5. We're closing in on 900 Facebook "likes" en route to 1,000 and beyond! Sign up for the daily and weekly newsletter and breaking news alerts on the Enfield Patch home page, and check out the Enfield Patch Facebook page. The Facebook "like" button is conveniently located at the top of each story; give us your thumbs up.